[GEM Development] New features for GEM

Armand Colleye a.colleye at wxs.nl
Wed Aug 11 23:02:31 PDT 2004

Ben A L Jemmett wrote:

>>This is an interesting bug.  I was not aware of it.  Ben?  John?  Why does
>>it exist, and can it be fixed?
>>

>The Desktop has at least one hard limit on paths -- they can't exceed a
>certain number of characters (64?).  I don't *think* that limit is any lower
>than the limit DOS itself placed on path names back when GEM was written,
>but of course modern systems can have deeper directory trees.  I seem to
>recall a limitation in that folders can only be nested 8 deep -- again, I
>don't recall this being more stringent than DOS originally, but ideally
>should be addressed.

We've had that discussion a long time ago.
As I can recall the DOS limit is 256 characters.
Thus the longer the direcory names the shorter the tree.
Try the simple trick within GEM
make a directory you name 1
go into the directory and make a new one, name it 2
and so make 3, 4 and so forth.
Go until some-one (DOS or GEM) gives up.

And don't forget to mail the result to the group with mentioning the DOS
version you use with the GEM version.
It will make a nice database.

Have Fun
Armand