[GEM Development] New features for GEM

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 10 01:44:03 PDT 2004

> -We need a way to make GEM browse in complex structures of
> directories. By now, you are limited to a certain length and you
> cannot open, for example, a file which is in the 9th subfolder:
> DOCMENTS\IMAGES\AGOSTO\HOLIDAYS\EUROPE\SPAIN\ASTURIAS\LUANCO\FOTO.IMG
> I think this is an imperative feature.

This is an interesting bug.  I was not aware of it.  Ben?  John?  Why does
it exist, and can it be fixed?  By the way, Ben, did you ever get time to
look into your new desktop release?

> -International codepage. This is a lack in GEM, you cannot write
> correctly with Spanish characters.
> Very important feature too.

Yes, but I have no idea how to do that...

> -Other features easier to do, i think: a gui for Format command,
> possibility to change label in a disk, use of Wilcards (like in
> ViewMAX).

I am hoping to create some stuff like this using GDScript in the near(ish)
future.  I would be planning to create GDS tools for simple DOS actions.

Best

Shane
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk