[GEM Development] New features for GEM

Pintaio pinpedilicio at yahoo.es
Fri Aug 6 15:18:15 PDT 2004

Hi everybody, i'm translating GEM Desktop and some apps into Spanish.
My intention is create a distribution thought to be used in old
computers, 8086 and 286.
The problem is that i'm not a programmer, but i'd like to add some new
features to GEM Desktop to make it better. These are improvements in
which i'm thinking:
-We need a way to make GEM browse in complex structures of
directories. By now, you are limited to a certain length and you
cannot open, for example, a file which is in the 9th subfolder:
DOCMENTS\IMAGES\AGOSTO\HOLIDAYS\EUROPE\SPAIN\ASTURIAS\LUANCO\FOTO.IMG
I think this is an imperative feature.
-International codepage. This is a lack in GEM, you cannot write
correctly with Spanish characters.
Very important feature too.
-Other features easier to do, i think: a gui for Format command,
possibility to change label in a disk, use of Wilcards (like in
ViewMAX).

If anyone of you, with programming knowledge, is able to make them
possible, i'll be very grateful.
Thanks a lot.