[GEM Development] Dev kit, 32-bits questions

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 02:39:12 PDT 2003

> So is there a GEM developer kit with Turbo C libraries?

I have a bunch of TurboC stuff.  Including GEM bindings.  Email me an
address and I'll email it to you.

> 2. Lots of talk in here about using GEM as a GUI for Linux/BSD.
> My primary OS is Linux, but I tell you, for a laptop or even a
> slow desktop, I'd rather have something that boots "almost
> instantly".  Linux and BSD DON'T.  I am watching the Aranym project
> closely, but again, it rides on Linux. My ST and Falcon boot
> "almost instantly."  Granted that 16-bit peecee GEM, as it stands,
> is dated and limited, and a native 32-bit GEM would be much better,
> I would figure there would be more interest in going that route,
> rather than messing with Unix, where X and KDE/Gnome (and other
> systems) are well-established and well-supported.
> Is there any interest or motion in this direction, or are we
> waiting for FreeDOS32?

Well, personally I have been testing the FreeDOS32 water, but that project
will not mature for a while.  OpenGEM 2.1.0 is being tested by Maxframe
(bunch of the DR guys) on REAL/32 at the moment.  They are playing with ways
of making GEM stuff run in a 32bit enviroment, but it's hard to know what
they will throw out.
I find Unix systems boot pretty fast.  Only a tiny bit slower than my
Win98SE box.  A light Kernel makes it boot better.
If John has success with GEM running on Unix it would be great.  I guess
we'll just have to hold our breath.
I see a role for GEM providing a low-resource GUI on Unix.  Depends on what
it needs to run I guess.  But it could have a real role on CLI boxes that
could occasionally have use for GUI.

Regards

Shane
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk