[GEM Development] DayDream (was NextGem..)

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 27 21:48:53 PDT 2003

> Well, you seem to want to stick a GEM skin on KDE and then run OpenGEM in
> DOSemu.  The KDE/Linux bit is not on topic for this mailing list.  GEM
under
> DOSemu, and John's work on a native AES, /are/ on topic.  However, I'm
> willing to tolerate you discussing your 'NextGEM' project as long as it
> doesn't get to an unreasonable level.  It might also be worth bearing in
> mind that going off in a huff when people suggest your idea has little to
do
> with GEM will not help with not annoying those of us with control over the
> list.

I'm not in a huff at all.  I would describe my attitude as playful.

However, I am sensing some hostility here, and I'm not sure why.  After all,
I'm trying to work out ways to (a) continue to develop and promote GEM, and
(b) to begin the implimentation of other technological frameworks.

Yes, I am planning on skinning KDE for a specific purpose.  As I was saying
to Liam a while back, I want to be able to use Unix in an easy way.
Yes, I am planning to see about running GEM transparently in Unix so people
can run GEM apps.
Yes, I am interested in seeing John's work, which would suggest we could
even get Unix-native GEM.  That would be a wonder.

I don't think that anything I said could be described as a huff.  On the
contray, I get one line comments from you guys, and I reply with longer
answers trying to address what you bring up.  I think that's far from a
huff.  That's attempting to reply to your comments or questions openly and
fully.  Yes, some of what I am doing is far removed from GEM, some of it is
not.  On the whole however I am trying to do something that will allow GEM
development to progress in a new direction.  As I have done for the past two
years.

Ben, there is an implicit threat in your reply that you will throw me out of
the list because of what I am talking about.  I cannot understand this.  I
don't think anyone could deny that I am after working hard on GEM, and I
certainly have produced a lot of GEM work.  Indeed, in the last year I'm the
only person who has released new GEM material.  I've been working hard to
get GEM and FreeDOS connected both in actuality and in people's minds.

I am disappointed.  Not because of questions or challenges to my ideas.
After all, that's what a discussion list is about.  I am disappointed with
what you said.  I thought our work was not about tolerating or annoying
people, I though it was about trying to make software.  That's what I'm
doing.

Regards

Shane