[GEM Development] NextGEM website and release date

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:46:03 PDT 2003

> But why is it called NextGEM?  It has nothing to do with GEM!
>
> Regards,
> Ben A L Jemmett.

Because the GEM code does not allow me to go where I want to go next, but I
don't want to leave GEM behind.  I think the code on which GEM is based is
far too limited to give it an application on today's machines, but I am not
prepared to abandon the system I have worked on because of that.
There are many design elements of GEM that I like, and that I wish to bring
towards Unix.  This has a lot to do with the look and function of the GUI.
It's something that you can pick up in no time.  I plan to edge towards that
with KDE theming.  Secondly, I do not want to shelve all the time spent on
OpenGEM when I switch to this new project.  OpenGEM will continue, and will
run on NextGEM.  Perhaps I can even get GEM apps running on NextGEM (when
you try to run them a script called DOSEMU to start GEMVDI and the APP).
Think MacOS 9 > MacOS X.  It was a complete technological replacement.
Ditto.  The difference is that I also plan to continue developing OpenGEM.

Regards

Shane
http://gem.shaneland.co.uk