[GEM Development] OpenGEM and FreeDOS (an OpenGEM FAQ)

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 20:59:19 PDT 2003

A brief OpenGEM FAQ

Hello all.  I think I should send this out to everyone to tell them what I
am up to, and to explain why certain things happened on time and certain
things did not.

Q: Where is OpenGEM 2.2.0?
A: It's finished and sitting on my computer.  I just had a few problems
making the zipfile and the update patch, and this has delayed release of the
software.  I am aware it was meant to be out on the 12th of this month, and
I am sorry.  Still, I would prefer to release it after proper testing then
with something wrong.  I figure that because 2.1.0 is a goldcode release
there is not a GRAVE urgency to my work, and I do have an additional problem
right now that takes priority.  My final university dissertation us due in
six days and I am still working on it.  Pressure pressure.  OpenGEM 2.2.0
will be out really soon, and it will be a substantial update to the existing
software.

Q: Where the heck are the OpenGEM 2.1.0 CDs?
A: They are many months late, and I am sorry.  Reasons: (1) I do not have a
CDR, and my girlfriend's computer (which has one) was broken for a while.
(2) I was really broke the last two weeks, facing 80 pounds (about 130
dollars) in university library fines, and short on time.  This has meant
that I have not used my (fixed) girlfriend's computer to make the CDs yet.
Don't fret though!  I will be sending everyone who wanted an OpenGEM 2.1.0
CD an OpenGEM 2.2.0 CD.  And this will be out soon.  Honest.

Q: What is happening with OpenGEM and FreeDOS?
A: FreeDOS is a major priority for OpenGEM development.  As a stand-alone
GUI OpenGEM excels, but it's time to combine it with something for a full
OS/GUI 16bit solution.  OpenGEM 3 will be this solution.  It will come in
two flavours...one to install on existing DOS machines, and another version
that uses FreeDOS as its core and is a complete OS for blank machines.

Q: Where does OpenGEM stand with regards to FreeDOS now?
A: I think FreeDOS is a very important OS, and is the most important DOS at
the moment.  OpenGEM is intended to work 100% fine on FreeDOS.  It is my
number one target OS.  I will try to resolve any problems OpenGEM has with
running on FreeDOS.  As far as I am aware there are NO problems running
OpenGEM on FreeDOS beta 9 or above.  If you have FreeDOS beta 8 you can
download a patch from http://gem.shaneland.co.uk to allow OpenGEM 2.1.0 to
run on your machine.  If you have an earlier version of FreeDOS you should
upgrade it...

Q: What is the development plan for OpenGEM?
A: OpenGEM is complete.  Additional development is simply to upgrade it, not
to add basic features.  There will be a large generational step for OpenGEM
next year (transiation from OpenGEM 2.x to 3).  After that I am not sure
what the development cycle will be.  It depends on the demands and needs of
the users.  OpenGEM will always be supported through the Shane Land OpenGEM
website. It is at http://gem.shaneland.co.uk

Q: I hear from God/Mother/Bob that OpenGEM 2.2.0 will not be fully GPL
A: Yes.  Some of the applications included with OpenGEM are freeware, but
not GPL.  Also, the BATCH files used to bind OpenGEM 2.2.0 together are not
GPL.  They are free for use with Shane Land OpenGEM, but permission must be
given to use them with another GEM distro or to mess about with them for
anything other than personal use.  This is not intended to stiftle
development, but is reflective of me investing a little more in my own
future.  With the userbase expanding and some commercial interest in GEM I
want to make sure that any project that is intended to make money using my
bits must give me a cut.  My work on the system is available for free use on
my distro, and will remain so. This does not affect the status of all the
GPL bits of the distro (AES, Desktop, VDI etc etc etc etc).  GEM is GPL.
Everything DR made, and that is made from the DR stuff is GPL.  Period.

Q: What is the GEM future?
A: OpenGEM will continue to be improved, and I will work to create good
documentation for it.  There is a new project underway called NextGEM, to
develop a Unix which impliments the ease of use and simplicity of design of
GEM and DR products in general.  It will most likely be based on NetBSD.

Q: Can I develop stuff for OpenGEM?
A: YES!  We need developers.  If you want to work on OpenGEM stuff email me
at shane at shaneland.co.uk.  OpenGEM is easy to develop for, and we have
bindings for TurboPascal, TurboC, PacificC and DJGPP.

Regards

Shane

Website: http://www.shaneland.co.uk
Software: http://gem.shaneland.co.uk
Blog: http://www.shaneland.co.uk/personalpages/shane/blog/

Support free software!  Make a donation to OpenGEM
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=shane%40shaneland.co.uk&item_name=opengem&item_number=1&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR