[GEM Development] Fw: Submission of GEM comments

Davey Brain dsbrain at neosplice.com
Wed Oct 8 18:01:55 PDT 2003

Shane M. Coughlan wrote thusly:

>>I have the following suggestions: I found it, I found it, I found it.
>
> Eurika.
>
>>A little company called Xerox once made a product called Ventura Publisher
>
> DOS/GEM Edition (Version 3).  I have all (15) of the 5.25 disks.  Copyright
> 1986, 1990.  Anyone interested in contacting XEROX to see if they will
> release it once and for all?
>
>>I have not attempted to install or run it...or even to read the 5.25
>
> disks.  There is a very good possibility that the disks work.  They were
> well sealed and in prestine condition.
>
>>Do other people have these things, or have they all but vanished from the
>
> face of the Earth?
>
>>bbaker

Hi,
This is truly good news.  BTW, I've got floppies for the TI-99 & C=64 &
Atari home computers that are over 20 years old and seldom have a
failure even though some were stored in damp places and even have some
mildew on them. CoCo & Apple ][ disks seem more prone to fail due to
moisture.  PC disks do OK, especially if they are the smaller formats
like 360K/720K.  So probably they are fine.  Best to copy them to a hard
drive ASAP to make sure they are archived, then burn it to CD if possible.

I have Ventura Publisher demo for OS/2 but haven't ever used it.  I
recently got a trailer-load of older computer stuff including tons of
DOS/WIN software like DBase and Paradox, etc.  Included was a copy (11 5
1/4" disks in Xerox disk box) of Ventura Publishing Series - Ventura
Publisher Edition V1.1 for ??? from 1987.  I haven't looked at it yet,
I've got to set up one of my systems with a 5 1/4" floppy, probably my
HP Vectra 486 or P133, or maybe my Tandy 2500.

Slated to come here right away was another box with a load of floppies
from Xerox including GEM 3 and more Ventura Publisher (saw them with my
own eyes) but somehow it ended up in storage.  We've been slated to do
an inventory for a month but it keeps raining on Saturdays.  We are
using an open truck to move stuff and there is so much we have to move
stuff outside to get to stuff inside, so we have to have a dry day.
It's not supposed to rain until late Saturday this weekend, so as soon
as we can do it then I'll let you know what all I have also.

Hopefully I'll find my copy of Win2K server also...hope it wasn't stolen
the day we loaded it up, as I was sure I had it to come here.
--
Davey Brain
dsbrain at NOSPAM!neosplice.com or

"Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth" - John F.
Kennedy

Gigabyte 7VKML AMD Athlon 1700XP+ Savage 4 AGP 4X 32M
This eCS 1.1 system uptime is 5 days 15 hrs 07 mins and 04 secs