[GEM Development] OpenGEM 2.2.0 is out now (and it works fine with FreeDOS!)

Shane M. Coughlan shane_coughlan at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 1 21:56:35 PDT 2003

OpenGEM 2.2.0 is out now!

This update to OpenGEM tidies up some problems, improves the layout of some text documents, and implements a new version of the SETUP system to allow driver changes.  It builds on the robust and proven 2.1.0 release, and gets rid of some problems people using DOS 3.2 were having installing the software.

The OpenGEM distribution can now be classed as a mature release.  Since OpenGEM 2.1.0 was released on the 6th of June we've only had three bug reports.  All of these have been effectively dealt with, though GEM does occasionally get unstable using some memory managers.  Given that the OpenGEM website currently gets around 100 hits per day, and up to 1,000 downloads a month, we have fairly solid proof that OpenGEM is stable.

The best news is that OpenGEM appears to be 100% compatible with FreeDOS beta 9.  Since the release of OpenGEM 2.1.0 we've had no reports of problems running OpenGEM and FreeDOS together.  This is in line with the development strategy of making OpenGEM the GUI of choice for FreeDOS users.

OpenGEM is the only actively developed 16bit GUI that runs on FreeDOS, MS DOS, DR DOS, PC DOS, REAL/32 and just about every other DOS out there.  Unlike other GUI projects OpenGEM is complete, tested, stable, and already has word processing, spreadsheet, graphical applications, DTP and even a web browser.

To get OpenGEM 2.2.0 visit http://gem.shaneland.co.uk
There will be a patch available in a few days to update existing versions of OpenGEM to 2.2.0

Regards

Shane Coughlan
Shane Land (www.shaneland.co.uk)

Support free software!  Make a donation to OpenGEM
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=shane%40shaneland.co.uk&item_name=opengem&item_number=1&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=EUR