[simpits-tech] Sim seats

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Mon Jan 30 14:43:07 PST 2023

I have a couple VR simulator projects I'm working on. One is a Frasca 141
cockpit that I will be converting to a Beechcraft Model 76 twin engine.
The other is a minimalist simpit for fly space sims (Star Citizen, Elite
Dangerous) or DCS.

I'm using a seat from a Dodge Grand Caravan as the pilot seat for the
Frasca 141. I don't have a solution for the space/dcs simpit. I was
originally thinking of building an Aces II seat out of Russian Birch
plywood using my CNC. Since the simpit is for VR use, I'm not too worried
about authenticity. I just want it to be comfortable. I have even
considered just getting a good seat from a small truck or semi. Racing
seats tend to have the baffles on the side that get in the way of reach a
console or blocking elbows when using controllers.

Currently I have a small sheet of plywood with my rudder mounted on it, and
holes at the other end that I slip my aeron chair wheels in to keep it from
moving about. The dual sticks, throttle, and switch panels are using desk
mounts.

Has anyone solved supplying a seat for their simulators? Does anyone have
plans or 3D models?

I'd love to find a real Aces II ejection seat or a Airbus/Boeing pilot
seat, the price is insane ($3K to $23K).

Any solutions, ideas, or discussion would be appreciated

-Freeman

--

Freeman P. Pascal IV, N5FPP
pascal at pascal.org