[simpits-tech] Gear VR Space Sim footage

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Mon Jan 22 10:41:56 PST 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_usIC2Nkpo

Now with more cowbell! Er.. Cockpit. More cockpit, I mean. I started
modeling the interior now. The video does not do it justice, but when
you're playing in VR, you REALLY get a good feel for how cramped
everything was. And I still have much to add in the way of panels, boxes
and other protrusions into the astronaut's personal space.

I apologize in advance, I realize the audio makes it sound like the
microphone is at the bottom of the ocean while I am at the bottom of
another, deeper ocean. I'm scheduled to visit home in about a month and
when I do I'm going to grab my slightly better microphone, as right now
I just have to rely on my laptop's built in.

Not particularly related to this video, but I did come to somewhat of a
realization while making the video. Up until this point I've always run
on the assumption that when I build my physical sim (someday, I promise)
that I would be using Orbiter as the software. And who knows, it may
still make the most sense. But unfortunately, there are also some areas
that Orbiter is lacking. What this project is showing me is that there
is not necessarily any reason I couldn't homebrew the entire sim on my
own. It helps that Mercury is confined to low Earth orbit, which
simplifies a number of things, but even a more ambitious space sim is
entirely within the realm of possibility with Unity. And that would give
me absolutely 100% control of the end product - and a default rendering
engine which was developed this millennium. It's certainly food for thought.

Brian