[simpits-tech] More on USB

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Sep 18 07:01:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Matt Bailey wrote:

> I realize changing the wiring around can help, but that's not practical
> in many cases...especially with the Sabreliner having its ENTIRE wiring
> harness still fully intact!!! I didn't know going 90* was a fix for the
> AC issue....trouble is, if I did USB to anything inside the cockpit, I
> would have very long runs of USB that need to go in the same direction
> as existing AC lines (mostly for lighting). Are you saying just a
> single 90* bend somewhere would help?

You want to cross ANY AC bus at 90 degrees and not run parallel to it.

If it was ME and I was in your shoes, I'd keep all the control electronics
in a cabinet outside the cockpit.  That way your USB cabling is no where
near the AC busses at all.  For those systems that require more localized
control, I'd put the Arduino (or whatever) in the nose, going the opposite
direction of the AC wiring in the overhead & sidewalls.

> At any rate, yes, if I get ethernet interference, I'll have to deal
> with it somehow too. The difference is my UDP programs don't care if
> they miss a packet or two here and there, and corrupt packets can be
> chucked. Not so with USB.

Just make sure you're not running any ethernet parallel to AC and you'll
be fine.