[simpits-tech] Augmented glasses

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Sep 17 06:18:19 PDT 2014

On Tue, 16 Sep 2014, Justin Messenger wrote:

> I hope these will work with cockpits. That would make my F-4 sim very
> compact and easy to move. I assume it would need a special software
> interface with flightsim to allow it to know where the virtual world
> should start.

Save your money for the moment. :)

castAR developer glasses should be shipping soon (fingers crossed) and
I'll have a full review posted on YouTube within hours of me getting my
hands on them. ;)

I've been working with Prepar3D and the Oculus Rift DK2 lately and it's
amazing.  It uses a plugin called DCOC to drive the DK2 and the developer
is going to be integrating support for the Leap Motion controller as
attached to the front of the DK2.  (here's a video demo of that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3ATQG9mnm34)

The idea is to use the Leap Motion as a finger tip tracker.  It should
allow you to use the virtual cockpit as a guide to mechanical controls in
your physical cockpit.  You'd be able to build a cockpit that contained
only inputs and no avionics.  As long as you've got things scaled properly
in the 3D cockpit model to match your actualy cockpit, it should work
pretty well.