[simpits-tech] Fw: USB

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 16:36:55 PDT 2014

 USB problems have driven me nuts! When your sim is powered by two 40 amp circuits the electronics start doing strange things. Throw in aircraft panels and a cockpit frame that use a common AC/DC chassis ground and it can get really weird.

The 737 sim has 64 relays. The 400hz inverter is powerful enough to start a real 737 APU.

Also annoying is using USB Cards that have to be set to specific ports on a network of computers. Any change in USB cord position requires changing the software which turns into yet more time spent.

USB ports also have a habit of loosing a good connection with the cable, especially after a sim is transported. it gets old having to re-connect each plug at both ends to get things to work.

I keep spare USB cables close by because they seem to randomely go bad. had that happen last weekend. Changed the cable at the card worked fine.

The voltage separation is a good rule of thumb, (I understand a minimum of one foot) but is really hard to do with a lot of cockpits.

Justin

>This is only a concern if you've got a USB cable running in parallel and
close proximity to an AC line.  If the USB cable crosses the AC line at a
90 degree angle, you should be fine.

>You'll have the same issue with ethernet if you're running it parallel to
AC lines.

A good rule of thumb is to keep low voltage stuff on one side of
 the
cockpit and AC stuff to the other.