[simpits-tech] SeeedStudio ethernet shield

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 23:32:59 PDT 2014

Just wanted to post some feedback on this little guy. Gene pointed out
that Radio Shack was selling SeeedStudio ethernet shields for $20 a
while back. I picked one up then, but just got it out of the box
tonight. So far it's great! Seems of relatively good quality, and the
setup was a breeze. I'll be using it to receive altitude from my sim
PC, for an Arduino that will drive my Dentk altimeter.

Supposedly this is not a real fancy unit, and has been replaced by an
updated model (and updated price...). It can only handle 4
connections at once. But 99% of the stuff we're doing in our sims is
very narrow in scope, and doesn't need to be blazingly fast. This unit
will certainly be more than sufficient for my altimeter, and probably a
bunch of other stuff as well.

Here's the (discontinued) product page. Link for the replacement model
is a little further down the page:

http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/Ethernet-Shield-p-518.html

I have started seeing similar WS5100-based shields on ebay for around
$11 including shipping, so this board may not be the best deal in town
anymore, but I will reserve final judgment until after I've had a
chance to try the cheaper models.

This is the first ethernet shield I've tried for the Arduino. Good ol'
UDP is simple and clean to implement with this shield, as it should be.
I plan on using ethernet shields of some sort for all my Arduino stuff
in the Sabreliner. It will be nice to be 100% USB-FREE!!!!!!!

Thanks Gene for cluing us in to this component!

--
Matt Bailey

Keeping It Real:
Sabreliner 60 Flight Simulator