[simpits-tech] FreeCAD

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Wed Oct 1 09:50:39 PDT 2014

> One thing you have to look forward to after you get out of the AF is being
> able to buy SolidWorks for about $150.  See here:
> https://store.solidworks.com/veteran/default.php?command=Step1
>
> If there's any vets on this list, you really should take advantage of this
> discount program.  It beats using Pirate Bay or coughing up $10k for the
> "full" version of SW.
Oooh, that is cool, thanks for the heads up!

> Brian, if you've used Inventor in the past, I would REALLY recommend you
> check out SolidWorks by any means neccessary. :)  The workflow is SO much
> better than Inventor.

I have not. The vast majority of my CAD experience came in college and
my internship at Smiths Industries, both of which used I-DEAS, now known
as NX. Let's just say they don't even bother offering general consumers
the opportunity to purchase that.... lol. It's geared at whole
companies. Companies with names like Ford and General Motors. Big guys.
Great software, but I'm not going to have a license any time soon...
Maybe if I get a job for Boeing I'll get the chance to use it again.

Brian