[simpits-tech] Real Argus moving map in a sim? YES :)

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Mar 4 21:48:10 PST 2014

Problem: my cool old Trimble 3100T GPS has no moving map, it is
text-only.

Solution: Slap in an Argus moving map, just as owners of real aircraft
used to do!

The Trimble is quite a chore, there is no way to interface it directly
to a PC. I am in the process of re-implementing its OS in Python. I
will then gut the real GPS and drop in an Arduino (for the buttons and
display) and small PC (probably a Raspberry Pi).

I picked up a nice Argus 7000 moving map on ebay for cheap. I knew that
avionics manuals often speak of RS-232 communication between fuel
computers, moving maps, FMSs, etc, so I was hopeful I could drive the
Argus with my own software and the RS-232 port on a PC.

I have documentation on the Argus, but I also wrote a little script to
capture data output from the Trimble as it sent Argus-friendly data
packets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2MsR6fsTi0

And: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_IymlTTkJM

This helped me craft a packet to send to the Argus. Fortunately, I have
the documentation for both the Trimble (and its data format) and the
Argus, so I can send whatever data I need to.

Results: TOTAL SUCCESS!!!! Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgXTDSQ8IAE

This will look *nice* in the Sabreliner. :)

--
Matt Bailey

Keeping It Real:
Sabreliner 60 Flight Simulator