[simpits-tech] Sim gremlins..

raysot at comcast.net raysot at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 11:01:04 PDT 2014

Funny story:

So, earlier this week I spent pretty much all my free time getting my KingAir sim into a state where I could "Show it off" to family members that would arrive (A few days ago)

Satisfied that I'd perfected the startup sequence and eliminated any weird quirkiness so as to exhibit the KingAir in all its simulator goodness and glory, I went to bed and dreamed of skies full of King Airs.

Enter the visiting family members:

About halfway through firing up the KingAir-Beast, the radios, gauges and Avidyne displays refused to behave. Switches were behaving erratically, and just a general malaise set in to the hardware like some giant invisible sim virus which I will name the "FAA" virus. (Make up your own acronym here).

My work... my crowning glory, would not spread her wings and take flight.

Checked everything... Everything pinged eachother, all was as it was the day before. In perfect working condition, except.. it wasn't working.

Long story short:

Family member "A" had an iPad, which connected to my wireless network. Simulator computer "B" had a static IP address set in the range of my wireless segment.

iPad A and computer B were on the same IP address.

...at which time I cracked open a bottle of wine for the night.