[simpits-tech] The Sabreliner awakens!

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Mon Jan 13 17:21:09 PST 2014

Had some success last night with the Sabreliner's power system:

http://sabrelinersim.com/powered/Center.jpg

http://sabrelinersim.com/powered/annunciators_sm.jpg

http://sabrelinersim.com/powered/sabreliner_ice_light.jpg

I seem to have found the output side of some DC circuit in the cockpit,
going back to the rest of the plane. My battery, electric master, and
inverter switches have no effect, and a number of DC circuits seem to
still not be getting power. Once I find the lead that would have gone
back to the battery, I assume I will be able to power up everything
else.....unless there is stuff that could ONLY run off the DC
generators? Even if that's the case, isolating and applying power to
the DC generator supply leads should cover all my power delivery.

I "hotwired" the coil positive terminal of the inverter #1 relay to get
the inverter on, which restored much (but not all) of my lighting...but
I suspect most of my lighting issues are due to dead bulbs.

What's odd is that despite tracking down every large wire that was cut
at the back of the cockpit, I evidently still have not found the
battery or DC generator leads. I am thinking/hoping that those thick
heavy wires might have just fallen down behind the aft cockpit bulkhead
(the wires were cut more or less flush with the back of the cockpit),
which would be easy to connect once I pull the trim out of the cockpit.

Some cool stuff: the engine master switches are still connected to
relays in the back of the cockpit, I can hear them clicking when I flip
the master switches. And whatever computer/circuit/device controls the
master caution lights is still present and working: the lights come on
with power, and go out when I press either one. Caution light test
circuit is also good (that's how I got the pics with all the
warning lights on). And the leading-edge ice lights can still be
controlled from the exterior lighting panel on the pilot's lower
console...and they look COOL! Very bright, even on the meager 25v DC I
scrounged up. Hopefully the retractable nosewheel landing light will
start working once I get power to the primary DC bus (I actually have
tested the retract operation by putting power directly to the center
pole of the extend/retract light, it looks really cool!).

My goal is to trace all the wires that come out to the massive array of
terminal strips at the rear of the cockpit. If I can do that, I should
be able to put nearly all my systems interfaces back there (instead of
stashing Arduinos and breadboards in various nooks and crannies inside
the cockpit...this will also prevent having to run
USB/serial/network/other logic wiring right alongside 400hz or other
power delivery wires). The avionics interfaces will all go in the
nose, as the harnesses for those are still fully intact, and I have
already started collecting "junk" internal avionics boxes to mount my
interfaces and computers into (these are standard avionics boxes that
will slide in and lock into the shelves inside the forward nose
compartment, complete with industry-standard connectors).

--
Matt Bailey

Keeping It Real:
Sabreliner 60 Flight Simulator