[simpits-tech] GAAAAAAH!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Aug 21 19:21:29 PDT 2014

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014, Joseph Fagner wrote:

> I have Internet but have been in a cave...aka work...for quite some time
> now.  Give me the run down on this thing.  It sounds like I can ditch the
> projections and put this thing on yet still interact with the pit?  Am I
> hearing you correctly?

The Oculus Rift is a pure VR device - this means that the only visual you
get is what the Rift gives you.  This would prevent you from seeing (and
thus interacting) with a physical cockpit.

If you want to interact with a physical cockpit (like most of us), you're
after Augmented Reality.  The castAR I'm still awaiting is that kind of
device.  It sports a pair of 720p pico projectors on eyeglass frames that
you wear.  It projects against a retro-reflective screen and allows you to
interact with your physical environment without interfering with your
vision.

When I get the castAR, I'll do a review of it from the standpoint of a
cockpit builder. If you want it solely for use with a cockpit, I'd hold
off on getting a DK2.  That being said, it's AMAZING. :D