[simpits-tech] Need a power supply...

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Mon Apr 7 19:56:48 PDT 2014

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 14:12:49 -0700 (PDT)
geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Apr 2014, Matt Bailey wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 08:47:04 -0700 (PDT)
> > geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
> >
> Yep, right Matt. :)
>
> Because the F-15 ADI & HSI are essentially irreplaceable, I'm going
> to give them *precisely* what the specs say they need.

Quite understandable. I feel the same way about the pair of Collins
ADIs I have for the Sabreliner. I'm still itching to grab some synchros
from something around here (perhaps my ADF heads...) and see how they
react to house voltage. If I can test enough synchros long enough with
house voltage and all is well, I might try it on complete instruments.
It would *vastly* simplify power delivery.

> I can drive a stepper motor using 16th steps using Pololu stepper
> drivers
> - many 3D printer use these in that configuration.  All I need is a
> tiny "home" position indicator for each and I'm set. :)

Keep us posted, I am curious as to how this goes. My biggest concern
with steppers is, what if the instrument never gets around (or takes a
long time) to the "home" sensor? Ergo, you might have a sensor at 0*,
but if your HSI (for instance) runs for 2 hours on a long flight and
never goes beyond the range of, say, 180* and 270*, will a stepper keep
its position well enough to not "drift" the HSI? What sort of sensors
(and how many) do 3D printers use?

--
Matt Bailey

Keeping It Real: