[simpits-tech] Making the dive into a 3-projector setup.....

Sean Galbraith Sean.Galbraith at pacificsimulators.com
Tue Oct 22 13:35:40 PDT 2013

3 outputs from a 660 should be fine, assuming Windows 7, you can “span using all available displays” or something like that.   We do this on our sims, it’s quick and easy and hey, if you don’t like it then you can take the TH2GO path J

On the framerate question: We don’t see a huge frame hit running 3 spanned displays, even at 1080p, so I would assume that at xga you’ll be fine.  We are running P3D which is relatively hard on the PC, not sure how XP10 sits in that regard (I only have XP9).

I’ve just finished a build, running P3D, which initially had a single 1920x1080 display, and it ran very nicely.  The customer then decided he wanted 3 displays, so we added 2 more screens, plugged the HDMI cables into the 660, and I didn’t really see a change in performance..

Heat issues with projectors are always fun... we generally have an AC dust blowing cool air into the space around the projectors (not directly at them... trust me on this), while at home I’m too cheap to have AC, but I have some ducts pulling cool air into, and exhausting hot air away from the projector (only 1, again too cheap.....)

Hope that helps a little J

SeanG

1. Not sure if I will use a Triple-Head2Go -or- leverage the 4 outputs on my GTX 660 card

2. Not sure if I will need to "Go Pro" for my X-Plane install

3. Not sure which warping software I need, if any. (Warpalizer, nthusim or Immersive-Display Pro) Nthusim seems to be the one I may go with.

Concerns:

1. Framerate hit

2. Heat dissipation from 3 projectors in a confined space

3. All the math :-)

Regardless, I am certainly looking forward to this project and will most likely be the last big addition to finish off the sim project.

My current beast is a KingAir B350 Hybrid

http://anthonyscott.zenfolio.com/b200/h57cca794#h57cca794

I look forward to any and all advice/recommendations/fits of laughter that might be headed my way.

Ray