[simpits-tech] 7-Segment Displays?

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 21:18:33 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM, Roy Coates <roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 25 March 2013 15:54, Cris Harrison <phoenixcomm at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Roy there a snap! You can use the MAX6965
>> http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/3540
>>

> Yeah, they're a snap for you guys that know what you're doing!
>
> Just had my chat with our clever electronics guy and he seems to think that
> what I want is pretty simple and he's going to build a demo board for me.
> If that works, I'll have a bunch made up - we've got board-making facilities
> here (woot++).
>
> I really need to make something myself though - the knowledge would be sooo
> useful.  Maybe that 6965 would be a good start?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roy.

Roy this part is sorta easy to work with. But I can be a real pain in
the ass. You have to read the spec sheet that will get you started.
=> heres some arduino code:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3ad0d57533648e76f1c50b317eec9c81&topic=14964.0;wap2

there are also a few ap notes on the maxim site as well as a pin guide
tool to help you with the out puts

the part is fairly tolerant but you might want to buffer it with a
transistor or a ttl buffer.
In my Nav CDU (http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/projects/nav-cdu/) I
need to use two of them one for the 7 segment displays and the other
for the 16 seg alpha displays. I have to buffer as I am driving a mini
lamps (PINLITES). I was using an arduino duemilanove to handle my 2
max6965, a ps2 keyboard, and the USB interface back to the host.

enjoy
Cris H.
phoenixcomm.wordpress.com
www.element14.com/community/people/phoenixcomm/blog