[simpits-tech] Spitfire 944...

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Jun 8 00:01:25 PDT 2013

Great story.....it's cool that someone that age got around the computer-side of things enough to apply his skills to a joystick and monitor. I would love to chat with someone like that about tactics. I spent some time flying Warbirds III back in the day, had an absolute blast.

What I find curious is that many of these pilots were, by any definition, seasoned and expert pilots in the war, but then got out and didn't do much else with aviation. My grandfather is one example....he flew B17s and B-29s in WWII, did some transport (officers etc) flying also. He continued to serve into the Vietnam conflict, and in fact was shot down while flying as a passenger over Laos (our first POW in that region, in fact). As far as I know, he was pretty much done with actual flying after WWII.

My dad became a pilot before I was born, and has never healed from the bite of the flying bug....apparently he is a carrier for the disease, because I have been completely in love with flying since before I can recall :) He is still an active instructor (only in simulators now). Interestingly, he served in the military, but was NOT flying at the time. That came later in his civilian life.

My grandfather used to ride along with us and take the controls now and then when I was younger. He still expresses a love of all things airplanes, and has a lot of knowledge about procedures in the old planes, characteristics and appearance of different models of aircraft, aviation history, etc. He even did pretty well last year taking the King Air up in X-Plane with my simulator (back when it was a desktop unit, as opposed to the car-sized gargantuan I am wheeling around now.....). But he did not pursue flying after the war. I've met a lot of folks like that...strange.

Matt