[simpits-tech] Headset adapter ideas

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Sun Jul 28 21:36:36 PDT 2013

Yeah, power for the microphone portion I'm not worried about (it's
really just an electret microphone driver, so it doesn't need much). But
one of the issues I ran into with the old one is that some people's
sound cards were unable to drive the headphones with any decent volume.
To help solve this problem I'm adding in a small circuit on the output
side with a small adjustable amplifier for the headphones, to hopefully
make it more universally compatible.

So on the USB version, the USB would end up powering the USB sound card
circuitry (probably relatively small power draw), the electret
microphone driver (also probably not much) and the headphone amp (this
is where I'm worried).

One possible solution is to use one of the double-ended USB cords and
use two USB slots for power. I have an external DVD drive for my laptop
that does this, and truthfully I don't need to use both USB ports for
it, but I at least have the option if it so happened one was not enough.
>From what I've been reading on USB it could vary a lot computer to
computer and hub to hub how much power you can actually get, and what
happens when you pull more.

The most you can really be "guaranteed" from a USB port is 100ma at 5V.
In theory you can get up to 500ma per port (per the USB spec) and some
computers will happily provide much more - and some won't.

Decisions, decisions....

Brian