[simpits-tech] Headset adapter ideas

Brian Sikkema brian at sikkema.us
Sat Jul 27 01:12:46 PDT 2013

OK, so I've done a little research, and I think I might try to tackle
the headset adapters again, but with a little more style this time.
Here's the various options/features I'm thinking of offering, speak up
if you like or have any insight on anything else you'd like to have. If
you have any ideas on what you'd be willing to pay that kind of info
would be great, too - even if you aren't in need of one!

Anyway, here's what I'm thinking:
Adapters would come in both analog (i.e. normal audio cables going to an
already existing soundcard) and USB (essentially a USB soundcard that
outputs to the headset).

On my last offering, the box came with built-in cables of a fixed
length. For the new one, I'm thinking it will come with audio jacks for
both the input and the output, and the customer can either provide their
own cables if they have them already (standard 1/8" male-male), or I
will also have a variety of lengths to choose from. Probably will have a
set by default that can be opted out to bring the price down some, and
then the longer lengths would be a bit extra.

Additionally, I would offer the device both as a stand-alone box
(similar to what's already out there and what I did before) as well as
what I'm calling a "Panel mount" option. With the panel mount, there
will be a box with all the electronic gadgetry, but the plugs for the
headset will not be on the box but instead on a cable (again, may offer
varying lengths... still debating how best to work this part of the
setup) so they can be mounted by the customer on any panel in their pit.
The box can then be mounted out of the way wherever they'd like.

The final option would be whether to have it battery powered or
externally powered, and if externally powered, whether or not a power
brick would be included (again, default) or if the customer wants to
provide their own power source (in which case I'd probably just provide
a power lead of some kind). I'm thinking the battery option would only
be offered for the stand-alone box, as it doesn't really make sense to
have the panel-mount battery powered.

I might be able to get the power required from USB, but I'm not 100%
sure yet... I'm thinking I probably shouldn't rely on it, though.

Oh, and one final feature I thought of that would be available on all
the boxes by default would be the capability for PTT. It would be two
prongs, normally jumpered, that could be use to attach any NO button for
a customer to use as a PTT switch.

So, let me know what you guys think! And please don't let me see a bunch
of boxes with all of these features suddenly start showing up out there
for sale... lol!

Brian