[simpits-tech] Real VOR indicator

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Fri Feb 15 09:37:13 PST 2013

Wayne, I just realized I did not respond to the first part of your question.

---- wledzian1 at comcast.net wrote:
> Matt,
>
> Can you point me towards your reference material? I can't find anything online more detailed than the Wikipedia article.
> Are you generating WAVs with two fixed frequencies, or do your samples include an FM-modulated 9960Hz and a phase-shifted 30Hz signal?

The latter is the case. Well, you do end up with two distinct tones, but the reference tone is made up of a 9960hz signal that is modulated at 30hz. The "simple" 30hz tone is just a clean sine wave that is phase-shifted as many degrees as the current VOR radial.

Most VOR indicators are looking for about 0.4vrms input (which is right in-line with what a PC sound card puts out)....but if you pipe the signal through speakers (that is, just play the WAVs like a regular audio file with speakers connected), it sounds really funky. :)

Matt