[simpits-tech] Collimated Display

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Dec 29 12:30:37 PST 2013

That looks very cool! I have not heard of these guys before, but I did see a development version of what may be the same visual system back in 2002 or so on The Screensavers (short-lived TV show for computer geeks....Austin Meyer, the X-Plane creator, was even on once).

If the projector is right in the focal point of the screen, I *think* you can get by without doing image warping, but I'm not sure. This is something I am still researching for my own system. I will let Gene elaborate on the specifics of his system, but there is one SIGNIFICANT difference between direct projection (the Aces system, as it appears to use) and what Gene is doing. Because his system uses a mirror, with the actual projected surface almost in the same plane as the pilots, the image is not in the same focal plane as the mirror itself. Gene's system allows the image to move with the pilot, and also focus the image further away. So as you move your head, a given point in the virtual world will not stay on the same physical point on the screen/mirror. It also means two pilots in the cockpit see essentially the same image (a key feature the FAA demands in civilian multi-person sims). With that being said, this still appears to be an AWESOME system, and I am sure there are some aspects of it that would be interesting and insightful, even for my planned Gene Screen. :)

Military fighter sims like the one the video shows represent a compromise......they are more interested in getting a large field of view than in making the image look convincingly distant, or preserving the image at different viewpoints (there is only one pilot, whose perspective is fairly limited by the design of the cockpit).

Btw, I should point out that this would not be considered a collimated display.

Mat