[simpits-tech] So I've got this huge thing in my garage now.....

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Aug 6 21:53:33 PDT 2013

Wayne, I cannot tell you how helpful this is. Thank you so much for
your insight! I think I now "get it" about the image looking right as
long as the viewer is at or very close to the projector (which I can
approximate with mirrors and keystone correction, as you pointed out).
Looks like I may yet have to spring for some short-throw projectors,
but that's ok. If I can put together a system for under $3,000 that
rivals the 180* collimated displays on multi-million dollar commercial
sims (not counting computer cost), then I think I will be doing very,
very well!

Now that you mention it, when I went into the projection compartment of
a level D sim and saw the BP screen lit up, it didn't appear that there
was any funky warping going on. The image looked something like mine.
Now, would I be correct in assuming that, if using the projectors inside
the screen, a proper setup would not require software image warping,
regardless of whether the pilot was viewing the inside of an opaque
screen, or looking at a curved mirror/Mylar in front of the cockpit
that was just reflecting the BP's image? I tend to think yes.

Matt

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 16:24:57 +0000 (UTC)
wledzian1 at comcast.net wrote:

> Regarding the projection of a flat image onto a curved screen without
> the need for pre-warp- Note that this only applies to the case where
> the screen is used as a RP screen with the projectors on the inside.
> A front-projection setup where the inside surface is the viewing
> surface (the projectors and the viewer are inside the screen) cannot
> work without warping, as the projectors and the viewer would need to
> occupy the same spot.
<snip>