[simpits-tech] So I've got this huge thing in my garage now.....

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Mon Aug 5 18:06:23 PDT 2013

OK, so I got out my projector and played with this thing last
night....it looks INCREDIBLE! I think I have finally established
something: I'm pretty sure the DLP projectors I'm using are brighter
than the CRT projectors used by the big guys. I tried setting my
projector at one corner and shooting it onto the opposite corner of the
screen....the resulting image on the outside of the screen looked
beautiful, and just as bright as my front projection on a traditional
flat screen. So, this leaves open the first idea of using the BP just as
it was intended, along with a Gene-Screen.

Thanks for the clarification on the screen's name. :) The sim guys
called it a "BP screen" (for back projection, I assume).

I also tried front-projecting and then sitting behind the screen (one
of the initial ideas). Unfortunately I would have to do some serious
re-arranging in the garage to set this up properly...all I could really
tell is that it does work, the brightness is still excellent, but I
think I may end up with more light scatter. I'm also concerned about
strange optical effects. I think what you say about the inside optics
directing stray light back to the projector is spot-on....there is some
weird stuff going on when rear-projecting and sitting behind the
screen, at some angles you get an unpleasant reflection from the
projector (almost as bad as looking straight at the projector lens). I
don't know how bad this would be when front projecting...again, I'll
have to move some stuff around to properly test this out.

I'm VERY curious about your comment about not needing to pre-warp the
image if I use rear projection. I will say the projected image looks
very very good with no pre-warping, but it appears I am still getting
some distortion. I don't see how pre-warping could be avoided, I am
still putting a flat image onto a curved screen. Or are you saying that
once I mirror it with a curved mirror, this will make the distorted
image look right? Pre-warping is a big problem for me now, because NO
ONE has any pre-warping software for Linux. And even if I pre-warp in
software, I will be losing a lot of X-Plane's render area. The only way
around THAT problem is to spend $750 per PC to buy a "professional"
X-Plane key and use its built-in projection warping (which I hear is
very good).

Clarification on the sizes: I did some more precise measuring last
night, and the actual diameter of the top (smaller) arc is 10ft. Screen
height is 4ft. And that brings me to another complexity....it appears
this is not a simple symmetrical sphere. One bow (the top, as it sits
right now) is smaller diameter than the bottom bow. I assume this is
because the Mylar screen sits BELOW the BP screen, and I actually have
the BP screen sitting upside down right now.

Another issue: I don't know where I'm going to get big enough Mylar
sheets for this. It seems like the widest roll you can order is under
5ft. That won't work, the BP screen itself is already 4ft tall.

If I ended up using the BP screen as my main screen, and projected
inside the screen, I could always paint the inside surface, worst case
scenario. I would lose most of the distance effect and consistent
viewpoint, but it would probably still look REALLY good. Or, again, if
I can project THROUGH the screen from the front, that would allow me to
put the screen as close to the cockpit as I want, AND still use my
cheap standard-throw projectors (just need plenty of room out in front
of the sim). This will probably be my fallback plan if I can't source
big enough Mylar sheets, plus it prevents me having to "marr" the
screen with paint.

Some pics....the image is not as blurry in real life, it looks blurry
here because of the brightness I think:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfamatt/9445916915/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alfamatt/9445918187/

Matt