[simpits-tech] So I've got this huge thing in my garage now.....

wledzian1 at comcast.net wledzian1 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 5 11:27:52 PDT 2013

Matt,

First, what you have is not a collimator, it is a screen. Not picking nits, just trying to work with correct vocabulary. Moreover, given what you say about the 'optics' on the inside surface, I have a feeling that it is a screen specifically intended for rear projection, that is to say that the intent is to have the projectors on the inside and the image on the outside. The 'optics' serve to reduce the acceptance angle from the back side, improving image contrast by increasing the amount of light gathered from the direction of the projectors, and reducing the amount of light gathered from the rest of the screen. This same effect also reduces the light bleed from the rest of the screen to any point, by directing the backscatter back towards the projector. The tradeoff in this arrangement is that it won't likely make a very good front-projection screen, nor will it work all that well if back-projected in the wrong direction. All this is speculation based on high-contrast rear projection screens that I've seen, and yours may be different.

Second, placing the projectors within the screen doesn't allow for a smaller mirror. The mirror and screen geometry are intimately joined by the requirement that the screen resides within the focal surface of the mirror. One immediate benefit of placing the projectors inside the screen is that you can project perspective images, and get the correct on-screen image with no warping required, provided the projection geometry is correct. I could write a whole page on this, but I won't bore you with the details for now. For a first-order approximation, the mirror will be just a little less than twice the width of the screen. Based on your statement of "this thing is 12ft wide", I'm showing a required mirror radius of 117", or 19.5 feet wide. Assuming your seated eyepoint is 4 feet above the floor and accounting for a few inches of supporting structure, the whole package would be about 10 feet tall.

-Wayne