[simpits-tech] Odd control issue with XP...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Nov 25 15:22:56 PST 2012

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

> My first guess would be a bad Plasma (sad!!!!), but I will say I've had
> some weird issues with Windows and joystick device calibration back
> before I switched to Linux.

Yeah, that would suck considering Leo took his ball and went home. :(

> One thing I can think of: with a traditional 100k pot, for instance,
> don't you usually get *some* voltage at the low end, since it's just a
> big resistor and not actually opening or grounding the circuit?
> Theoretically it still shouldn't act the way it's acting for you, but
> this *is* Windows we're talking about, maybe the unusually low voltage
> reading from the Hall is confusing it. :P

Well the actual movement of the input arm is such that it's not 0..5V, but
something less from either end - say 1..4V.  The controls can't drive the
input arm through it's full 180 degree arc.  It's probably close to 100
degrees or so.

> I would plug it into another PC and see what you get, or boot your
> current PC into a Linux boot CD and see if it will calibrate in Linux.
> Linux seems to be a little more tolerant of non-conventional
> joystick-style controls than Windows. Oh, and try different jumper
> settings on the Plasma...you can change the filtering level, as well as
> the resolution if I remember correctly (my Plasma V2 manual is not on
> this PC).

The Plasma MM2 doesn't have configuration jumpers like the original does,
it's all done in software.  I've tried 12, 11, and 10 bit with no change.
It does have filtering active due to the noise I was getting.