[simpits-tech] A hard-fought victory!

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 12:00:30 PST 2012

Mat,
I did a lot of ground work for a Radio Sub System, and I did talk about in
my blog..
Yes I use Mint for development. I added the Cinnamon desktop to it as well.
It runs my Eclipse development environment as well. This way I don't have
to re-target my stuff from windows, and it uses GCC under the hood! I use
VIM, Eclipse  or Notepad+ as my editors. With Eclipse it cuts my
development & test time down.

Ok.. instead of hard coding your audio cards, you should have used*
ALSA<http://www.alsa-project.org/>  Advanced
Linux Sound Architecture*, It was designed to do handle multiple sound
cards for you (easy peasy), It is included in most distros, and therefore
its *portable*. (and I hate redesigning a wheel, that works fine, that is!)

Now for moving all that sound around.. again look around for ALSA aware
programs and you will find Jack <http://jackaudio.org/>.
Again portability is the key, and BTW don't forget our friend the wheel.

Portability is defined as what hell happens when you blow up the
motherboard or audio cards. I don't want to re-code. Do you?

About distros:
It dosent mater. Just make sure the feature set you need is there. I have
used Sun Open Desktop (on Solaris), GENTO (way too hard to configure), Red
Hat on my server in the clouds (really junk), OpenBSD (had my firewall on
it!!), Ubunto (not that impressed but much better), and then Mint12 (I like
it, yes its from the Ubunto tree), and then there are smaller OS of course.
Like my Beagle Bone.. boots to Linux (Agstom) with a Cloud9 desktop, and
the TI Launchpad cards (less than $20, and crushes the Arduino) and they
give you the tools they have a 32bit Sellaris card that I am working with
now! I also have a 68k VME box that has a shit load of I/O but has to load
very old kernels.. So I build the solfware here in Mint but target them
with a 68k backend on GCC. oh one more thought check out you can build your
own light weight distros... (I forgot the tool that I have used (brain
fart!)

If you need some help drop me a line.
Upwards and Onwards
Cris H.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:

> Hey Cris, I do recall you talking about your audio system a while back.
You are doing far more than me! I am basically just hooking everything into
X-Plane's "brain" and spitting the data out to the appropriate places
(example: rather than having my software look up what navaids are nearby or
looking for marker beacons, I just let X-Plane tell me when it's picking up
some sort of navaid, marker beacon, etc...ditto for most instrument flags).
Seems like your approach is more comprehensive, and also probably better
for using the system on multiple sim software packages? Mine is pretty
unique to my sim, though I try to keep things reasonably portable and
non-specific (but on my audio system, for instance, I don't have any
auto-discovery code for the sound cards, they are hard-coded to that
specific machine).

> Btw, somewhat unrelated but I noticed your post about Linux Mint network
config issues. Mint is a great distro from what I've seen, but it's very
feature-filled and "desktop'ish". What you experienced is exactly the kind
of crap I've had to deal with on the more "feature-rich" help-me desktop
distros. For the kind of work we're doing, might I suggest another distro?
I'm 100% Slackware here, as it is a no-nonsense, vanilla, un-tweaked distro
which actually uses a vanilla kernel straight from the tree, no funky
distro-specific weirdness. Ditto for most of the included packages as well,
there aren't really any special things done to original programs by the
Slackware folks. I've heard Arch is good also, DSL is very light weight and
simple, and of course there's always Linux From Scratch if you're really
intrepid. :)

> Matt
>
> ---- Cris Harrison <phoenixcomm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mat
> > Congrats!
> > Seems you took a page out of my playbook,
> > phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/arinc-410-subsystem-audio-routing I
> > have the Morse Code stuff done with a database (all of the radios &
navaids
> > from the FAA; which i take an dump into my mysql db), i can get items
from
> > the db by location and or station id. + tones (inner, outer, etc.), and
5
> > audio cards running on an un-modified system.. My Audio Radio Audio
source
> > is on a Linux box very easy to do.. I finds all the cards for you, so
all
> > you have to do is use a software patchboard that connects the sources to
> > the channel + I do slant range calculation  on radios so if you car at
NY

http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/2012/03/04/arinc-410-subsystem-audio-routing/

> > www.phoenixaerospace.us
> > www.flite-tronics.com
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 3:41 PM, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks! Yep, 5 sound cards.....it's probably possible to utilize a
couple
> > > more ports on each card (for ones that support 5.1 Dolby, anyways)
and thus
> > > get 2 or 3 channels out of a single card, but it's not worth the
trouble
> > > IMO. Plus I would probably be stuck only being able to play out of one
> > > output per card at once. Much simpler to just stick the "the green
port" on
> > > each card, both channels (left/right) and wire one card per "radio"
on the
> > > audio panel.
> > >
> > > I could almost use more, but 5 worked out OK...my audio panel has nav
1/2,
> > > ADF, DME, and marker beacons...that's 5 outputs, perfect! Of course
it also
> > > has comm 1/2, but I'm going to probably be handling them separately,
as I
> > > plan on using Pilot Edge ( http://www.pilotedge.net/ ) which I just
found
> > > out about...apparently it actually reads the comm freq set in the sim
and
> > > routes audio correctly based on that. Pretty cool! But at any rate,
the
> > > only thing I might need a comm channel for besides that would be for
> > > pre-recorded "chatter". I can always use the audio on my instrument
panel
> > > PC and wire that to comm 2, for instance, if I want chatter while
flying
> > > offline.
> > >
> > > Matt

> > > page.  Thanks!

> > > page.  Thanks!
> > >

> > --
> >

> > Please Note:
> > Any transactions over 1,000.00, or overseas transactions will be
pre-paid
> > via Bank Wire only.
> > ALL VAT, Taxes and or shipping, custom charges will be paid by the
customer.

> > Mobil    :       214-635-9818
> > Skype ID      Phoenixcomm
> > AIM - ICQ     194602804
> >
> > We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but
> > habit.
> > Aristotle
> >
> > www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim
> > www.phoenixtrading.biz / www.phoenixcomm.net / phoenixaerospace.us
> > Shipping / Billing Address: 921 Crawford Street, Suite 4207, Fort Worth,
> > Texas 76104 USA

page.  Thanks!

--

Please Note:
Any transactions over 1,000.00, or overseas transactions will be pre-paid
via Bank Wire only.
ALL VAT, Taxes and or shipping, custom charges will be paid by the customer.

Mobil    :       214-635-9818
Skype ID      Phoenixcomm
AIM - ICQ     194602804

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a