[simpits-tech] Display news...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Jan 29 08:11:10 PST 2012

A couple of weeks ago I chased down a lead and found a Mylar vendor that
can supply material up to 124" wide. It's _cheap_. For example, a 100 foot
roll of .5mil @ 96" wide is roughly $200 shipped.

We've also come up with a way around the patent issue - instead of the
curved "ears" at the ends of the mirror, it can be more square - something
shown as "prior-art" in the patent, but a feature we couldn't use because
we couldn't get Mylar wide enough.

What this means is that we're now open to making plans & short kits
available to people.

We're looking at two "reference" designs.

The first would be large enough to accommodate standard GA aircraft right
around Cessna 152-172 size up to something around a Lear or Cessna
Citation.

The second would be a "big iron" display that could be used with cockpits
around the size of the Boeing 737.

If there is enough interest, we'll go ahead and get the design work done
and I'll build Inventor models so you can see what they'll look like.

However, we're not going to build prototypes for either one of them until
there is enough commercial interest. This doesn't mean a bunch of folks
going, "Hey! I'd buy that!", it's some number of people (say 5 for this
example) willing and able (and actually do!) put down a down payment for a
short kit.
We're doing this because building one of these things takes a ton of time
and effort when you're writing the manual for it at the same time. The
materials aren't cheap either - the prototypes and kit parts will be in
18mm and 12mm Russian Birch - it's a high quality material. It's not the
kind of endeavor that either one of us can fund ourselves on the hope that
someone might buy one someday.

A "short kit" is typically parts that most folks can't make themselves -
all the shaped parts, etc. Any dimensional lumber, fasteners, Mylar,
projectors, etc. would be supplied by the builder.

We'll also look into providing the vacuum management system - this would
likely consist of an Arduino Uno style "shield" and the parts to build a
servo controlled bypass gate similar to what you've seen in our videos.
Servo not included.

There will definitely be size issues you're going to need to be aware of
if you're going to build one of these. Our single-seat version is a tight
fit in a room with a 9' ceiling. You can just about be guaranteed that the
GA display is going to be bigger than that and I shudder to think how much
shop space that 7x7 display is going to eat up.

Because of the size & scope of this thing, don't expect any concrete
results out of us until April-ish.

I'm going to re-post this to various places in order to make sure the
folks that are interested see it.

Thanks all!

by the clean end.