[simpits-tech] Brainstorming a static & pitot system

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Jan 25 08:17:30 PST 2012

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012, bjones at pipecomp.com.au wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Ok if your using a servo (rc aircraft type) you will need to extend the
> servo arm by a long distance and have it coupled to the syringe by a
> extension also to give you the travel needed ie most of the syringe
> travel, in saying that the resolution you will get will be very jumpy, due
> to the indexing of the servo between movements, my suggestion would be a
> stepper motor.

I'd suggest using a stepper motor like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miniature-ODV76-L92121-P2-Linear-Bi-Directional-Stepper-Motor-12VDC-/110810764668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19ccd6157c

You can firmly mount the motor and attach the threaded shaft to the
syringe plunger.  You could add a microswitch that the plunger base would
trigger in order to set the "home" position and you're ready to go.

You might also want to check out Mike Powell's Building Simulated Aircraft
Instruments - he's got a great gear-driven ASI project that uses a stepper
motor.

by the clean end.