[simpits-tech] Free open-source screen warping software (!!!)

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Feb 18 15:03:06 PST 2012

Found a potential gem for folks who need to do screen warping and don't want to have to sell their bodies to science to buy software licenses. :)

http://orihalcon.jp/projdesigner

It appears to handle just about any type of screen you might need, as well as arbitrary node-based warping, AND edge-blending. Looks like it will take a little extra work to get it into our sims (basically, sticking his code into your own OpenGL code), or even use the GLWare OpenGL driver to make it work under ANY OpenGL app. But that should be a piece of cake compared to actually writing the warping software (and the projection design program) from scratch. And of course, being open-source and OpenGL-based, it is cross-platform (Windows-only binaries on the page, but the latest source I downloaded appears to be set up for Linux as well).

Obviously it won't do much good if you are running a proprietary or Direct3D-only sim, but for the rest of us, this could be just the thing for running curved screens, I hope! I am going to see about writing an X-Plane plugin with his code.

Matt