[simpits-tech] Projector stuff

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sat Feb 11 23:50:18 PST 2012

So I got a chance to hook my "new" (to me) DLP projector up to my sim this week.....AWESOME! What a huge upgrade, even from my dearly departed 37" LCD monitor (far better, in fact).

It's a Mitsubishi XD460U...native res is only 1024x768, although it will do 1280x768 if it's widescreen you seek. So it's not a barn-burner, but it does ostensibly pump out 2600 lumens and a 2000:1 contrast ratio. As long as I am content with these specs, it looks like I can ebay more projectors for well under $200 all day (in fact, I also got a working 430U for $58...).

My biggest concern is the throw distance. I'm not sure how well this projector will work with my planned cylindrical screen, I may have to seek short-throw projectors specifically. We shall see soon enough....I am ready to build it now that I'm sold on the DLP projector.

I am convinced now that a 180* wrap-around screen will put the pilot safely over the "suspension of disbelief" threshold. :) Something happens in a big sim with big visuals....at Flight Safety, even with the motion turned off, the visual system clicks something in your head, and your brain says "yep, you are moving".....I can just begin to see that with the projector when the screen is big and the geometry is set up reasonably correctly. Even just beaming onto a flat wall with just one projector, I am now REALLY able to sit down and enjoy the sim...up until now I've been stuck with a 20" monitor sitting on the glareshield that wobbled every time I move the yoke. No comparison!!!

Matt