[simpits-tech] Cheap/non-HD short throw projector suggestions

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Aug 12 20:46:25 PDT 2012

Well I was going to stick with one projector until I had a chance to design and build my cylindrical screen, but recently I discovered I am about to get long-term-loaned a set of three flat free-standing projector screens. It wold be great to have "wrap around" visuals for CockpitFest.....so I am looking for more projectors.

Just wondering if anyone had suggestions on an older short-throw projector. I continue to keep a very tight budget, so I don't need a high res model. I am currently using Mitsibuishi projectors (one in the sim, and one in the living room for movies etc). Both projectors have a native res of 1024x768...not glorious, but enough for good immersive flying. One is an XD430U, the other is almost the same model. Brightness is officially in the 2500 range, with a contrast ratio of 2000:1. I've decided I'd like to stay at this level as a minimum. Trying to keep price under $200 per unit (I picked one of my projectors up for $150, the other for $58.....).

So, any suggestions? Alternatively, if there is some way to use extra lenses to enlarge a "normal" projector's image, I could pick up more of these cheap projectors and just enlarge their images. I have a little bit of optics right now which I'm going to experiment with and see what I can get.

Matt