[simpits-tech] ADF update (again) GOOD NEWS!

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Fri Apr 13 17:20:12 PDT 2012

Amazing.....I emailed Honeywell last week on the off-chance that someone might provide me with some info on the King ADF indicator I showed you guys. Tonight I received a *detailed* email discussing the operating principle of the indicator and the optional secondary azimuth card, PLUS a nice schematic for the entire unit! I'm almost dumbfounded that someone at a big outfit like Honeywell would bother to hunt down a schematic for an ADF indicator from 1969 AND take the time to explain to me how it works!

As it turns out, there is no synchro involved here. The little "can" is just a 12v motor, and the big one (the goniometer) is what reads needle position. The only thing I'm worried about is the motor says "175hz" on it, which leads me to believe it requires A/C? It has five wires coming out of it. The motor sure looks like an A/C motor from the schematic.

So I guess basically, it's a really complex but primitive servo. :)

Matt