[simpits-tech] Common aviation gauges that are air-core?

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Apr 5 07:42:56 PDT 2012

On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, Cris Harrison wrote:

> On 4/4/2012 2:55 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
>>
>>> - Successfully driven an air-core motor....woohoo!!!
>>>
>> I'd love to see the code for this.  Care to post a demo? :)
>>
>>> I'm thinking simple instruments like AoA indicators, volt/ammeters,
>>> engine gauges, etc.
>> Any single needle instrument that doesn't need more than 360 degrees of
>> rotation is a perfect candidate for air-core motors.
>>
>> g.
>>
> gene not really.. the needles in CDI for ILS and all the FLAGS in both
> the HSI, and VSI are just meter movements why mess about changing them
> to - air core motors when all you do I hook a DAC (Digital to Analog
> Converter and drive them... EASY PEASY!!

Well those are D'Arsennault(sp?) movements and you could probably drive
them using the PWM output on the Arduino.  It would be impractical (not to
mention impossible for thing like flags - no room!) to convert such things
to air-core.  I seriously doubt Matt would consider such a path when it's
painfully obvious that they're not synchros.

Buying desktop hardware and installing a server OS doesn't make a
server-class system any more than sitting in a puddle makes you a duck.
[Cipher in a.s.r]