[simpits-tech] Common aviation gauges that are air-core?

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 20:49:42 PDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 2:55 PM, Gene Buckle wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2012, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
>
>> - Successfully driven an air-core motor....woohoo!!!
>>
> I'd love to see the code for this.  Care to post a demo? :)
>
>> I'm thinking simple instruments like AoA indicators, volt/ammeters,
>> engine gauges, etc.
> Any single needle instrument that doesn't need more than 360 degrees of
> rotation is a perfect candidate for air-core motors.
>
> g.

gene not really.. the needles in CDI for ILS and all the FLAGS in both
the HSI, and VSI are just meter movements why mess about changing them
to - air core motors when all you do I hook a DAC (Digital to Analog
Converter and drive them... EASY PEASY!!

Cris H.
phoenixcomm.wordpress.com
phoenixaerospace.us
flite-tronics.com

just remember that pointers in the CDI are zero center ie + 0 - so you
need a DAC with bipolar output..
and your flags are uni-polar,
------Data Bus----{ DAC }=(meter movement)

a quick present from google: http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN2398.pdf