[simpits-tech] sim meltdown

Justin Messenger jjmessenger at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 17 23:14:05 PDT 2011

For a short period I had a functional g suit in my F-4 sim tonight. It rocked! I could not believe the amount of pressure that thing can produce, it completely changed the simulation experience and reminded me of the feeling I had on my T-6 texan flight. Pulling g hurt!

Then something went terribly wrong and the g suit didnt deflate after a turn. Im controlling it with an USBoutputs card from open cockpits and supect I over amped the card. Im well within the amp limit per an output, but I see its total amp capacity is only 2.5. Thats not much when running 12v motors, solenoids,  and LEDs on a card with 64 outputs. I trigger all of the 24v equipment with relays  Half the outputs on the card will not shut off even with the USB cable disconnected so the card has to be shorted. They talk about running bulbs up to 40v, but to use all 62 outputs with such a low amp limit I think the card is really just good for LEDs.

The computer also no longer reacts correctly to a mouse click, so the damage seem to go beyond my cards. I fear i have a total loss on my gear in the F-4 sim :(
If so Im not sure I will rebuild it due to the cost.