[simpits-tech] Soldering how-to

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:12:36 PDT 2011

On 10/10/2011 9:30 AM, Brian Sikkema wrote:
> So I ordered that soldering iron Gene recommended. It's not here yet,
> but it should be soon.
>
> Anyway, I'm a butcher with a soldering iron, and I figured now that I'm
> getting some decent equipment I oughta learn how to do something other
> than glob solder all over everything and hope it works! lol. Does anyone
> have a good reference, preferably online, on learning to solder well? Or
> at least not embarrassingly bad?
>
> Brian

Brian, I have the soldering & wiring  bibles for you....
you can find them both here:
http://phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/library.shtml
<http://phoenixcomm.net/%7Ephnx2000/sim/library.shtml>
"Soldered Electrical Connections - NASA-STD-8739-3"
  "Crimping, Interconnecting Cables, Harnesses, and Wiring. -
NASA-STD-8739-4"

I got my NASA rework cert when I worked for Hughes Aircraft in the 80's
enjoy...
remember only heat (melt) the solder indirectly, and always keep a damp
sponge around to keep your iron clean, like after every joint.  Also if
you are soldering connectors (they are a real pain in the ass) a solder
pot is a great investment, so that you can pre-tin your wires..

Keep you work clean,
Enjoy
Cris H.
phoenixcomm.wordpress.com