[simpits-tech] collimated display progress...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon May 2 08:01:57 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2 May 2011, Rick Davis wrote:

>> The problem doesn't come up when you're making a one-off for yourself
>> (even though there is no "fair use" for patents), but it gets really,
>> really sticky when you publish plans for others to duplicate your work.
>> While we might _technically_ be able to get away with it, all it would
>> take is one overzealous jr. partner in a law firm that wants to make an
>> example of us.
>>
>> g.
>>

> I totally get what you're saying Gene, but plans in themselves are not
> patentable. They are comprised of paper and ink, neither of which has any

Rick, the issue is that we built the mechanical device described in the
patent in order to solve the same issue that the patent covered.  While
we're pretty sure that we're safe in building this for our own use,
publishing plans so anyone can build it might cross the line.  This would
become a real problem if someone were to build it and then either try to
sell it or use it in a commercial setting.  You figure that every
commercial flight simulator that uses a collimated display utilizes this
technique (it provides extra material in order to allow the mirror to
properly form) in their visual systems.  I suspect that
SEOS/Rockwell-Collins makes quite a penny on licensing that patent.

by the clean end.