[simpits-tech] collimated display progress...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon May 2 06:14:31 PDT 2011

On Sun, 1 May 2011, Rick Davis wrote:

>>> We still haven't contacted SEOS/Rockwell-Collins to find out if they'll
>> grant hobbyists a free license for the features their patents cover.  If
>> they don't want to grant a free license, then no plans will be made
>> available, sorry!
>
> Guys. I've had patents, and I have patents. Canada, USA and International.
> Don't worry about these things. A patent is only valuable for protection
> against someone stealing your idea (plans) for commercial gain. I can
> reverse engineer as many Blackberries as I like in my basement, as long as I
> am not trying to sell them.

The problem doesn't come up when you're making a one-off for yourself
(even though there is no "fair use" for patents), but it gets really,
really sticky when you publish plans for others to duplicate your work.
While we might _technically_ be able to get away with it, all it would
take is one overzealous jr. partner in a law firm that wants to make an
example of us.

by the clean end.