[simpits-tech] Level 7 helicopter simulator, spherical projection

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 21:31:15 PDT 2011

On 6/24/2011 1:00 AM, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> This is just a quick brain-fart until I get back from vacation. Thanks to circumstances I will explain in a later post, I had a chance to get my grubby little simulator-loving paws on what apparently is the world's first FAA-approved level 7 helicopter simulator (technically an FTD, actually, no motion). It was approved in 2009, here's a press release:
>
> http://www.verticalmag.com/control/news/templates/?a=11612
>
> The flight was AWESOME, I will post pics and a more detailed "flight report" later. :) The thing that struck me the most was the visual system. It is not a "traditional" collimated display. Simply (or not so simply), it was a large, spherical, white matte surface that was projected on, with 8 pretty standard-looking projectors, offering a 200* horizontal by 70* vertical view. The depth perception and immersion was at LEAST as good, if not better, than the fancy collimated displays. I think I may try to do something like this with my sim, wondering if anyone has experimented with this? Seems fairly simple, except for figuring out overlap.....
>
> Matt
Sounds coool, but as I had one too many (one time at controls for about
2 mins) I cant chew gum, smoke, rub my stomach, and try to fly all at
the same time. Will stay above the clouds, with that thing that has
wings, and a power plant and does not require my left hand for anything
but my throttle quad, and from time to time my gear lever!
But for the few that are that are brave oh well, not I.
BTW I also will not jump out of perfectly  good airplane! That is if it
has a good glide ratio!
Later
on an other note: I have stopped updating my website
www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim
and now Blogging @ phoenixcomm.wordpress.com
Enjoy.
Land Safe.