[simpits-tech] Phidgets for sale?

Matt Bailey xplanematt at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 16 15:58:16 PDT 2011

---- Roy Coates <roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 15 July 2011 18:50, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:
>
> Correct!  I'm using Phidget servo drivers to make em move, and Bodnar boards
> to read the positions.

How are you interfacing to the Bodnar board, are you using pots and the analog
inputs to measure instrument position (basically, re-creating the servo's
functionality, which is the path I'm leaning towards if I don't use winch
servos)?

> Just ordered a Butt-Kicker too for some subtle 'feeling' in the cockpit.
> This is in addition to a powerful sub-woofer bolted under the seat ;-)

This is the first I've heard of this device....let us know how it goes, it looks
promising (and cheap!). The Frasca heli sim I flew last month used some sort of
vibration or butt-kicker-like device and it did add a lot to the experience,
especially when descending into your own rotor-wash (which turned out to be not a particularly wonderful idea).

> The list so far...
>
> 2 Bodnar boards  (pitch/roll/yaw/throttle/trim/carb heat/mixture/flaps/read
> servo pos/switches)
> 2 Phidget servo boards  (to drive instrument servos)
> 2 Phidget Analogue-4 boards (to drive real gauges such as fuel qty, oil temp
> etc)

Are you using variable voltage to drive air-core motors? I have just recently been
doing some research on air-core movements and it looks like this would be
possible, but I'm not sure yet.....people keep talking about H-bridges and other
intermediary circuits. I think I can actually just use two digital outputs on my Phidget IO kit and pulse-width modulation to send the right "voltage" to the terminals of the flap gauge I got off ebay....I've determined that my gauge can be set by varying DC voltage, but I really don't know if it's an air-core motor....I'm pretty sure it is.

Matt