[simpits-tech] Phidgets for sale?

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Fri Jul 15 16:03:38 PDT 2011

On 15 July 2011 18:50, <dabigboy at cox.net> wrote:

> Ahh yes, a Traumahawk. From your instrument description, I'm guessing you
> are using "hacked" servos and potentiometers to measure the position of
> needles that need more than the meager 180* or so that servos usually
> provide?

Correct!  I'm using Phidget servo drivers to make em move, and Bodnar boards
to read the positions.

> I'm facing the same situation, but I recently found out about winch servos
> that do 2, 4, or even 8 full turns before stopping. The main problem is
> acquiring them, the only small ones I found are Chinese specials (ostensibly
> GWS) on ebay for around $30. If/when I can get some, this will probably be
> my route. Of course for non-limited instruments like the HSI and (sorta) the
> altimeter, I'll need to use geared steppers, or just stick with my current
> glass-cockpit setup for these instruments. My only "real" instruments at the
> moment are the airspeed indicator and the turn coordinator, the latter being
> from a real plane.

Winch servo's are fairly cheap over here if memory serves but talking to my
local RC shop guru, something he said put me off using them. Damned if I can
remember what it was though :(

With free access to rapid prototyping gear though, it's relatively painless
for us to make custom stuff and the simpler gauges like RPM, Turn/Slip,
Vacuum et al will be made in-house in ABS.  I'll post pic's as they
progress.

Just ordered a Butt-Kicker too for some subtle 'feeling' in the cockpit.
This is in addition to a powerful sub-woofer bolted under the seat ;-)

The list so far...

2 Bodnar boards  (pitch/roll/yaw/throttle/trim/carb heat/mixture/flaps/read
servo pos/switches)
2 Phidget servo boards  (to drive instrument servos)
2 Phidget Analogue-4 boards (to drive real gauges such as fuel qty, oil temp
etc)
1 Phidget Interface Kit  (starter engaged light/tpndr ident light/etc)
3 GoFlight panels (most cost-effective solution I could find)
1 Bendix King KT96 (dead, gutted, lights up and Ident button/light works)

Roy.