[simpits-tech] project update...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sat Jul 2 21:11:49 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

> ---- Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>> NThusim+ will handle the warp to match a curved projection surface.
>> However, Sol7 will do that AND warp to a spherical surface as well.  At
>> lesat that's my understanding.  Wayne has studied this far more than I
>> have.
>
> Oh REALLY......how interesting. Alex led me to believe NThusim+ would
> handle all my needs for a 3-projector setup. What you're saying is it
> handles vertical pin-cushion (for cylindrical/horizontally curved
> screens) but not horizontal pin-cushion issues that would pop up once
> you curved the screen top-to-bottom. That is a huge bummer, I think Sol7
> starts around $1900 or so............................per
> copy...........................oh well, a cylindrical screen would at
> least be far easier to build, and probably still provide some pretty
> amazing visuals.

Don't get me wrong, NThusim+ WILL do the job - we've done it with our test
rig.  However, Sol7 provides an extra bit of configuration.  Wayne
understands what's going on a lot better than I - I'll let him explain the
details. :)

I think Sol7 is that PER CHANNEL.

> The stuttering I don't think will be an issue (assuming I have enough
> RAM and video RAM) so much as the actual frame rate.....after many sims,
> many video tests, and many computers, I have concluded that I need to be
> able to push 60fps MINIMUM all the time. One of the things that drove
> frame rate home for me is when I fired up a DirectX test (you know, the
> little spinning cube) one time on a new video card, and was getting some
> ridiculous frame rate.....even though it was just a small CRT monitor
> and there were no 3D glasses or anything going on, I swear that cube
> looked like I could just reach into the monitor and grab it, the
> animation was so smooth.

60FPS in current flight simulators isn't really doable unless you're going
to throw money at it until it works.

> Thanks for sharing your progress and findings, Gene, it's hugely helpful
> to the rest of us!!!

You're quite welcome!

by the clean end.