[simpits-tech] project update...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 1 06:50:30 PDT 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

> Great stuff Gene, it's looking great! Question: what are you doing about
> screen warping to handle the pin-cushion effect? Forgive me if this was
> discussed in an earlier post, up until now my main interest has been in
> the geometry and basic theory behind your rig. I'm just now getting into
> this myself, planning a somewhat simpler setup using a flat-white
> spherical projection screen with three projectors pointing at it
> directly (saw it last week in an AS350 heli sim at FlightSafety, which
> renewed my interest in this simple and somewhat more forgiving
> approach). I believe you would have the same kind of correction since
> you are rear-projecting onto that curved "little" screen.

Thanks Matt.  The pre-warp is done via NThusim+.  It handles everything
except the spherical distortion correction which is only handled by their
Sol7 product.

Also, I'm not rear-projecting.  The projectors fire out at a fold mirror
which in turn puts the image on the screen right below the projector.

> How's your performance in X-Plane at such large resolutions required to
> drive the TH2Go on three displays?

I haven't tried XPlane on it - I may not.  It has stretching issues with
large displays unless you go to multiple computers/copies.

by the clean end.